Knights of the Mashing Fork

thermometers in your brew kettle

Started by Jonathan, Jan 10, 2018, 12:11 PM

Go Down

Jonathan

I'm looking at putting a thermometer into the extra port in my brew kettle, but am concerned about the probe sticking into the kettle. I can think of a number of ways it could get damaged while brewing (it getting hit while I'm stirring, inserting and removing wort chiller, other freak accidents). Anyone have any advice on how to avoid such potential problems?
BB, by any chance, is this your review on this thermometer on Northern Brewer? If so, do you have any pictures of how you protected the probe?
Alternative, a thermometer with a socket such as this one might be a good option. Thoughts?

Sir Vorlauf

huh, those links got screwed up, but I was able to find the right page.

We haven't had issues with thermometers like the northern brewer one.  Yeah, it gets whacked occasionally by a mash paddle in the MLT or spoon in the kettle.  It doesn't seem to matter.  Unless you're really whacking it hard- like a hammer, I wouldn't be concerned.   That's on the big 55 Gallon ones.

For my personal 8 Gal kettle, once I get the wort down to 85F or less, I just tape on one of those sticky thermometers and use that:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermometer-adhesive-thermometer.html

Brewers must have an intimate understanding of the physics of heating and cooling, the hard science of enzymes and fermentation- and then forget it all to achieve a gut-level Zen instinct for the process.

Sir Vorlauf

From what I've personally seen, the stick ons have been more accurate than some of the metal thermometers when compared to a lab calibrated spirit thermometer 
Brewers must have an intimate understanding of the physics of heating and cooling, the hard science of enzymes and fermentation- and then forget it all to achieve a gut-level Zen instinct for the process.

brewboy

Hi Jonathan. Sorry for the very slow response.  That's not my review, but my attorney has written him a cease and desist letter.  :-P
I have a thermometer like that in my keggle. but it hasn't caused any problems. I'm not looking at it right now, but it has a much shorter probe than the one shown on NB and it hasn't cause a problem. Truth is, I rarely look at it. I hang a long (10") k-type thermocouple over the side of the keg to monitor and control the temperature. It's attached to a digital controller. I got both of these from eBay. I'm electric, so the controller drives a couple of solid state relays. This combination is much more accurate than the dial thermometer, although it does look kind of cool. 

FTR, I'm pretty sure this is the one I have:   https://www.morebeer.com/products/fermentap-dial-thermometer-3-face-25-probe.html
It only has a 2 1/2" probe length. NB doesn't specify length, but it looks longer. 

Go Up