Recent posts

Public Forum / Re: New Forum
Last post by Scott - August 06, 2021, 08:57:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

Registered up on the new forum. Great meeting some of the club members last night at your August club meeting.

:bier:

-Scott
Public Forum / Re: Tripel
Last post by Sir Vorlauf - July 25, 2021, 03:32:21 PM
probably not.   8)

Though yeast (and fermentation temp) is one of the key ingredients of a tripel.   The grain bill is fairly straight forward- Pils, belgian candi sugar, and maybe some other character malts that you may enjoy (biscuit, caramel malts, etc).  Noble hops just to have balanced bitterness-  Styrian Goldings is popular.

I usually find 4 well respected recipes online and then come up with somewhat of an average.
Public Forum / Tripel
Last post by nicjon - July 22, 2021, 11:33:35 AM
anyone have any experience making a tripel? I'm assuming I shouldn't use my imperial juice yeast and warrior hops.
Last post by aidanxfriesen - July 18, 2021, 10:35:01 PM
I guess i picked a good time to poke my head in the door again!
I think the most obvious answer is just to brew as much beer as possible lol
Last post by etbandung - July 12, 2021, 10:56:24 AM
brewing like alchemist 8)
Public Forum / Re: Recipe Collection
Last post by Sir Vorlauf - January 31, 2021, 11:35:39 AM
Public Forum / Recipe Collection
Last post by Sir Vorlauf - January 31, 2021, 11:03:27 AM
This temp sticky (until we find a better home) will be for all our past club recipes that I could find from our old forum.

Please only post recipes here.  This thread is not for conversations.  Posts other than recipes will be deleted.

Make sure to post your recipe to the Recipe database. Let me know and I'll link to it here. Please help if you can fill in any missing spots or make corrections.

Oatmeal Pale

It'sh Scotishish
Double Session Imperial Black IPA
Bitter
Flaccid Baby Dicks
Jewlius
Oyster Stout
Josh's Cream
Alt
Hoppy Pale Off-brew

It's Overfest
Take 2 Big Bananas
Am Brown Hop Hole
Weizenbock
RIS

Hops a Lot RyePA
MC Brown Wet Run
Robbie's English Brown
Slutty Sister-in-law IPA
Ball Lick Porter

Choc Oatmeal Stout
Holiday Ale
Double Dagger
Dry Stout

Pale Ale
American Octoberfest
Jeff's A&P Ale

Oktoberfest
Fridge IPA
Golden Promise Tripel

Schwarzweizen

India Brown Ale
Multicultural Wheat
JD Dark Knight (Barrel)

Liberty Lager
Tarnished Armor
Old Castle Brown

When? and "Other"
White Birches Steinbier
Big Banana
Pyramid Hefe
Knight Porter
Fomhoire Celtic Red
Double Dagger (original)
Coo Coo Knight Stout
Peasant Bitter
Double Vision
Poor Richard
Wheatnik (DoppelWiezen)
L'Eau De Chien (Hop Dogs)
Bruce Stott's Schwarzbeir (Hop Dogs)
Von's Ryewine (original)[/size
Public Forum / Re: Brewing Hoppy
Last post by Sir Vorlauf - January 31, 2021, 10:52:44 AM
https://beerandbrewing.com/1Sce4YbB4ooKQS0mc84GYq/article/unlock-the-secrets-of-new-england-style-ipas
And recipe: https://beerandbrewing.com/7FW4kwQBtmoQEuk8oU4oYG/article/weldwerks-brewing-co-juicy-bits-new-england-style-ipa

Use calcium chloride and calcium sulfate additions to adjust water profile to about 175–200 ppm chloride, 75–100 ppm sulfate, and 125–150 ppm calcium.

https://www.brewbound.com/sponsored/re-evaluating-dry-hopping-techniques/
Key points:
Several studies have shown that concentrations of monoterpene alcohols and hydrocarbon hop fractions reach near-full extraction in beer after being on dry hops for just 24 hours. Further, some of these constituents can come out of the beer solution and back into hops due to those aroma compounds’ hydrophobic nature. Additionally, hop thiols such as 4MMP, known for their fruity, tropical aroma, are also extracted rather quickly, with most being found in beer within two days of dry hopping.

Agitating or stirring has been known to shorten dry hop time needed for effective extraction of desired hop aroma in beer. Under laboratory conditions, active mixing of dry hops was shown to maximize both hydrocarbon and monoterpene alcohol extraction in as little as four hours — with subsequent reduction of these compounds over time. Hop astringency and bitterness increased under agitated dry hop routines suggesting it’s possible to “over extract” undesirable hop compounds.

shorter hop contact time may also reduce certain unwanted hop flavors and aromas in your beer. Potentially undesirable polyphenol compound levels increase over time, meaning getting the beer off dry hops can reduce overly herbal hop character. In some extreme cases, polyphenol extraction has been attributed to what some are calling “hop burn” in dry hopped hazy beers

While research has shown that there is significant positive sensory affect for multiple smaller additions on the pilot scale, the evidence is not so clear for larger size batches.

https://www.brewbound.com/sponsored/re-evaluating-dry-hopping-techniques/
Key points:
Several studies have shown that concentrations of monoterpene alcohols and hydrocarbon hop fractions reach near-full extraction in beer after being on dry hops for just 24 hours. Further, some of these constituents can come out of the beer solution and back into hops due to those aroma compounds’ hydrophobic nature. Additionally, hop thiols such as 4MMP, known for their fruity, tropical aroma, are also extracted rather quickly, with most being found in beer within two days of dry hopping.

Agitating or stirring has been known to shorten dry hop time needed for effective extraction of desired hop aroma in beer. Under laboratory conditions, active mixing of dry hops was shown to maximize both hydrocarbon and monoterpene alcohol extraction in as little as four hours — with subsequent reduction of these compounds over time. Hop astringency and bitterness increased under agitated dry hop routines suggesting it’s possible to “over extract” undesirable hop compounds.

shorter hop contact time may also reduce certain unwanted hop flavors and aromas in your beer. Potentially undesirable polyphenol compound levels increase over time, meaning getting the beer off dry hops can reduce overly herbal hop character. In some extreme cases, polyphenol extraction has been attributed to what some are calling “hop burn” in dry hopped hazy beers

While research has shown that there is significant positive sensory affect for multiple smaller additions on the pilot scale, the evidence is not so clear for larger size batches.
Public Forum / Re: Brewing Hoppy
Last post by Sir Vorlauf - January 31, 2021, 10:48:43 AM
another article on hop stands (whirlpooling)

http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2808-hop-stands

From my experience, calcium chloride alone had the biggest impact on increasing my mouthfeel softness score. As the grams/gallon of calcium chloride (CaCl2) increased, so did my softness rating. The same is true with the gypsum/calcium chloride ratio (S04/CaCl2), as the ratio of gypsum to calcium chloride decreased (negative relationship) so did my mouthfeel softness score.
In the 25 batches looked at above, the S04/CaCI2 ratio ranged anywhere from 4.7:1 to 0.45:1. As the scatter chart of these beers below shows, I had the most successes in terms of softness when the ratio was around 1.5:1, which is close to an even split of gypsum/calcium chloride.
There has also been a look at the sulfate levels of hop forward beers and it’s effect on hop flavor. A “clear negative correlation” with sulfate levels and perceived hop flavors was found. This suggests that not only does increased sulfate levels detract from the softness of the mouthfeel, it also can lower the hop flavor of a beer!
There is evidence to suggest that yeast cells have the ability to strip hop oils from beer so an unflocculent yeast strain combined with increased chloride would seem like a logical move to enhance hop impression as well as softness and sweetness

http://scottjanish.com/chasing-mouthfeel-softness/

One HBT thread mentions: *2:1 Chloride to sulfate. Been going about 130:65ppm for recent beers

Ratio seems less important as the amount of the two ions in your water.  Posting the above because Josh said he used Gypsum and I use Calcium Chloride. It appears that we should be adjusting with both.
Public Forum / Brewing Hoppy
Last post by Sir Vorlauf - January 31, 2021, 10:44:46 AM
Jeez, I don't want to lose this from the previous forum!

I was "talking" to this other homebrewer about dryhopping techniques and he said to look up the Firestone Walker guy.

So I'm posting a few links to articles:

http://www.mashtunjournal.org/2013/08/inte...restone-walker/

http://handsonbrewing.com/dry-hopping-the-proper-way/

https://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands

credentials: After college Matt started working in the lab of the Kalamazoo Spice Extraction Company, and he was soon sent over to Chicago’s Siebel Institute, where he continued his education in organic chemistry.

(matt) described a process where the hops were introduced in the primary fermenter and allowed only a specific contact time before being racked off. He stated that the action of fermentation was needed to “scrub” some of the undesirable flavors from the hops and leave the fresh hop character that was desired.

As soon as the head of the primary fermentation starts to crash, this is the time to dry hop. (approx 3-4 into fermentation)

About twice a day, swirl the fermenter to mix up the hops and help submerge them.

After 3 full days, no more, no less, rack the beer into a secondary fermenter (or dump the trub)

Considerations from a different hop idustry slide:
Selection of best (new crop year) aroma varieties
–Blending hops for consistency and complexity

Yeast Activity
–Rousing with CO2 to help control DO and mix

Temperature Considerations (warm or cold?)
–Extraction better at elevated temperatures

Emphasis on low dissolved oxygen (DO)

Removal of yeast plug prior to dry hopping

Contact time
–Short contact time (3-4 days) vs. Long contact time (4-14days)

Sanitary technique

whirlpool: This allows the hops added at flameout a period to release their essential oils into the wort, while minimizing the vaporization of these essential oils.

Alpha acids will continue to isomerize after flameout until the temperature of the wort reaches about 175